Quatrefolic® represents an innovative dietary ingredient designed to act as a nutrient in all areas where folic acid and folate supplementation has been recommended and allowed.
The terms folic acid and folate are often used interchangeably for the water-soluble B-complex vitamin, essential for the maintenance of cellular functions and health.
Folate deficiency is one of the most common vitamin deficiencies and eating folate-rich foods may not provide the recommended daily dosage; thus the need for supplementation.
Quatrefolic® is the glucosamine salt of (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate and is structurally analogous to the reduced and active form of folic acid.
Developed by Gnosis S.p.A, it represents the fourth generation folate providing greater stability, higher water solubility and multiple ingredients formulation flexibility compared to 5-methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt guaranteeing an improved bioavailability.
Choosing Quatrefolic® as a source of folate presents several advantages both for manufacturer of food and feed ingredients and for the consumer of supplements and food products:
• Provides the active form of folate, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, naturally present in the body and available for its biological action.
• Has been recognized GRAS. Gnosis has undertaken several in-vitro and in-vivo preclinical and clinical studies to characterize and guarantee the safety profile of the product.
• Is a Gnosis proprietary product with patents and trademark applications guaranteeing a wide range of use and covering all areas of folate application.
• Is produced according to cGMP, guaranteeing a reproducible quality profile.
• Glucosamine, as a salt of (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate, does not come from animal sources and the product is suitable for vegetarian consumption.
• Higher bioavailability and improved water solubility showed by Quatrefolic® respect to calcium salt, open new perspectives and uses for combinations and formulations with vitamins and minerals, both for dietary supplements and Food & Beverage industry.